Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Dionysus  (Read 3369 times)

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
  • Devil May Cry's a rockin'
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheistic Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Dionysus
« on: July 04, 2011, 11:09:39 pm »
Since I don't feel like derailing Sage's thread. :P What are your thoughts, feelings, etc on the God of Wine and Madness? Anything at all... :P I'm down with whatever pops up.

So how I met Him. His name kept being mentioned in conversations with people until I finally gave up resisting the urge to study more about the wine God. When I did do more studying, it was rather attractive to me and did spark some change and realization that it's okay to follow what I desire. Sometime afterwards, a dream occurred. This dream had me frolicking in the grass nakedly and the name that popped into the dream was Dionysus. The theme was just... unrestricted freedom. Probably a few days later, I was doing some divination (with Apollo) and Dionysus decided he wanted to pop into my life. I was intrigued by him and decided to learn more.

Around July, I had drifted away a little and we had lost all contact with our friends and family. I was pretty down about it and when I didn't act like everything was honkey-dorey, my dad freaked out at me which caused me to break down and think of the only being I could turn to at that moment, which was Dionysus. Immediately afterwards, I felt a bit calmer and stopped drifting away and got involved in studying again.

Which later caused me to call upon him in ritual. The presence I felt was both pleasant and intimidating. He still gives me that pleasant-but-intimidating feeling today and the thing is, it is rather fitting. Dionysus can be very pleasant but he is a God of Madness and I constantly remind myself that that guy can have a bit of a darker side though I don't think I have too much to fear as he shows me his pleasant side. There are times he has been blunt with me but those are times when I am being extremely silly or annoying and just simply won't listen, so the blunt card probably needs to be pulled out.

My relationship with him is probably close to a friendship though I do tend to react to him like a lover would at times. :P He has a lot of poems written for him and I try to do as much as I can for him. He's even the first one I think of when I get some alcohol... he hasn't complained about what I give him, either. I'm getting the general impression that if that's all I can offer right now, he doesn't mind. (And if it's alcoholic. :P)    

I have noticed that through his influence, I have gotten far more happier and less serious. I'm enjoying living life more than I use to.

He tends to try to tell me that it's okay if I want to explore things a little and he doesn't care yet somehow, I can't get it wrapped around my head.

He is a pretty neat guy though and I adore him. A lot. I use to wonder why he had interest in me, a quiet girl though I think nowadays, he came around to try to help me though I don't know if he's done or he's sticking around for a while... though I have a feeling if I allowed him to stick around he would stick around and I probably wouldn't mind that one little bit.

(There's a lot of home issues too... my dad not helping paying the bills and we get behind on some bills, then sometimes we get notices to vacate if we don't pay the rent on the first day of the month, and my dad focuses so much on his race car and not on what is important... my dad's lackage of bill paying is kind of why we lost contact to everyone in the first place. My dad doesn't care though. :|
... I do realize that that might have some connection to Dionysus' appearance too. Maybe.)

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dionysus
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:05:57 am »
Quote from: LuciaStar;1141
Since I don't feel like derailing Sage's thread. :P What are your thoughts, feelings, etc on the God of Wine and Madness? Anything at all... :P I'm down with whatever pops up.

Dionysos is a god of "hydro phusis", or "liquid life", meaning his divinity is not only present in alcoholic beverages, but also in blood, semen, and the sap flowing through trees. He's the life force in all living things, not just a god of party time. He's represented by the phallus, symbol of the dying and reviving vitality of nature, as kind of a male counterpart to Demeter or Aphrodite.

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:19:13 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;1885
Dionysos is a god of "hydro phusis", or "liquid life", meaning his divinity is not only present in alcoholic beverages, but also in blood, semen, and the sap flowing through trees. He's the life force in all living things, not just a god of party time. He's represented by the phallus, symbol of the dying and reviving vitality of nature, as kind of a male counterpart to Demeter or Aphrodite.

That's pretty interesting. I'm going to have to keep that one in mind. :D

Arcadia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 01:26:54 am »
Quote from: LuciaStar;1141

Dionysus can be very pleasant but he is a God of Madness and I constantly remind myself that that guy can have a bit of a darker side though I don't think I have too much to fear as he shows me his pleasant side. There are times he has been blunt with me but those are times when I am being extremely silly or annoying and just simply won't listen, so the blunt card probably needs to be pulled out.

Dionysus is a very important part of my life. He has been with me always and in past lives too.

I became aware of him 10 years ago, but I didn't realise he was a deity, I just thought he was a guide. It was many years before I realised he was a deity and many more before I figured out which one. He made a bit of a game out of it, giving me hints and riddles along the way.

I am very very fond of him. He is more like a father figure to me, he shows himself as an older man. He has helped me immensely through the rough times in my life. And the fact that he is a God of Madness is very pertinent. Because he is the one who has helped me to heal from 15 years of depression. He is both funny and serious. He can tell me as it is. He can lecture me too, but in a kind and loving way and I never feel unfairly judged.

I can't express in words what a wonderful and complex being he is. I have noticed he touches many, and frequently those with emotional or mental issues or just those who are going through a rough time. He is definitely devoted to those he chooses and he himself has said when questioned why he has such infinite patience with me: "I am devoted to all my charges".

From my experience and what he has told me, he doesn't like a huge fuss to be made of him. He told me once that i had a very elaborate altar to him in a past life and it was not necessary to go to such lengths. I never feel pressure from him to make offerings or recite hymns etc. He does enjoy offerings when given, but doesn't demand them.

I could sing his praises for ever, he has basically saved my life. I was clinically depressed for many years and he is one who never gave up on me, never tired of helping me, never left my side. I have much gratitude for him and love him to bits.

I too would love to hear what others have to say about him and their experiences.

Arcadia
Guided be the hand and mind
[/FONT]

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:38:28 pm »
Quote from: Arcadia;3496
Dionysus is a very important part of my life. He has been with me always and in past lives too.

I became aware of him 10 years ago, but I didn't realise he was a deity, I just thought he was a guide. It was many years before I realised he was a deity and many more before I figured out which one. He made a bit of a game out of it, giving me hints and riddles along the way.

The bolded part sounds like something he would do. Just by running off with how he acts when I ask things. Frustrating at times but I don't really mind much.

Your story also reminds me of something. When I first became Wiccan 5/6 years ago, someone took some interest in me because I could suddenly feel someone popping around. It was a male and rather pleasant. He will be called The Presence from here on in. The Presence didn't appear very often but when he did, it was nice. There was a point in my life where The Presence was always around however. When I was 17, I had found the JOS and strange things happened. I was home alone but the cupboard doors closed harshly in the kitchen and I went to check on them. Either way, I think someone wasn't too pleased or were trying to tell me something I didn't quite understand. During the time I was involved in it, The Presence popped up a lot more until about... 3 months after when I snapped out of it all (and it messed me up mentally).

Afterwards, I occasionally heard footsteps and sometimes voices. Once I felt someone sit with me on the bus but when I looked, no one was there. I eventually tried to figure out what was going on and eventually tried to do some type of protection spell. At the same time, I was trying to get back into Paganism and had tried to get in contact with various gods.

To get out of story mode for a moment, there is a name that I have found in my notebooks that are definitely from that... time. Two spellings and I find them rather curious and figure I was trying to figure out the name of The Presence (that had popped around less at that time). One spelling is "Diycous" and another one is "Dicyous". Today I sit here and go "... That looks similar to Dionysus... What's going on here?" Which leads me to assume the obvious thing someone would assume but I also question it. I've asked but I'm still not sure.

Back in story mode! I was trying to repair myself through it all and most past it. (I have some journal entries from this time, as well) I thought it was going well but I'm not too sure if it was, today. I was trying to do something with Apollo and Dionysus decided to make his appearance and "claim" me. I was rather intrigued and... well, the rest of it is there in the first post. (and what happened a bit before the "claiming" is there, too.)

.. I apologize, there was no way to summarize that. D:

I can't express in words what a wonderful and complex being he is. I have noticed he touches many, and frequently those with emotional or mental issues or just those who are going through a rough time. He is definitely devoted to those he chooses and he himself has said when questioned why he has such infinite patience with me: "I am devoted to all my charges".

I agree about the rough time bit. Dionysus became more involved in my life when my family basically lost all communication with our friends and family. I was pretty upset and my dad wasn't being easy with me about it because I wasn't acting like everything was fine. (.. My father and I don't get along much anyways. My dad freaks at me when I talk back at him and you cannot reason with that man. There's far more, like my mother and his relationship, etc but I don't want to get into it right now.) Things eventually got better and I think Dionysus hanging around helped a bit. Though we are still having problems bills wise... -sigh- That's why I don't think Dionysus will leave any time soon. Nor do I really want him to.

That infinite patience he has seems to be a norm. Sometimes I do extremely stupid things and never really get what someone is trying to tell me and I imagine that can be frustrating and I wonder how he deals with that but I always tend to get a "It's okay" or "Do what you want" message that never seems to be angry. It always seems to be "Why would I be angry?". I never really got what he was trying to tell me until recently and I think that helped me a bit more than I realize. :D At least, I'm trying to get a clearer view of what I do believe in.

Arcadia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:27:38 pm »
Quote from: LuciaStar;3653
Frustrating at times but I don't really mind much.

Yes, it can be very frustrating, but there's always a sense of good humour and fun and knowing that it's for our own good that we figure it out ourselves.

I was home alone but the cupboard doors closed harshly in the kitchen and I went to check on them.
Afterwards, I occasionally heard footsteps and sometimes voices.

This is familiar too. He's been known to do things like this at my place. Once he opened the dryer while it was on and all the clothes fell on the floor (he later asked me if I liked his little joke). He also admits to being the one belonging to the footsteps and a voice I hear every now and again. He tells me it's his way of letting me know he's around.

One spelling is "Diycous" and another one is "Dicyous".

That's very interesting, and I don't think it's a coincidence. I think you had him sussed even then ( :

I was trying to do something with Apollo and Dionysus decided to make his appearance and "claim" me.

This doesn't surprise me either. There is a connection between the two. Perhaps Apollo heard you and decided Dionysus would be the better man for the job at the time? I remember reading a thread on the old forum about someone having a dream about the two of them doing a healing of sorts. I can't find the thread though.

Though we are still having problems bills wise... -sigh-

Strangely he's been known to be helpful when we're doing it tough. There are a few instances where I've found money in odd places, like $20 in a coat pocket that was 'not' there 5 minutes ago. He admits to doing this when we really  need it, but he says he has to have 'permission' first, from who, I have no idea.

That infinite patience he has seems to be a norm. Sometimes I do extremely stupid things and never really get what someone is trying to tell me and I imagine that can be frustrating and I wonder how he deals with that but I always tend to get a "It's okay" or "Do what you want" message that never seems to be angry. It always seems to be "Why would I be angry?".

Me too, and he's never angry. The only thing he's ever done is give me a little of the silent treatment lol. Makes me feel like I'm 5 and being given time out to think about what I've done hehe.

Isn't it nice to compare notes ( :
Guided be the hand and mind
[/FONT]

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 09:19:40 am »
Quote from: Arcadia;4120
Yes, it can be very frustrating, but there's always a sense of good humour and fun and knowing that it's for our own good that we figure it out ourselves.

Yup! I've been figuring that out a bit that he most likely wants me to figure things out on my own. It's like "I'll tell you this much but now you have to do the rest on your own."

This is familiar too. He's been known to do things like this at my place. Once he opened the dryer while it was on and all the clothes fell on the floor (he later asked me if I liked his little joke). He also admits to being the one belonging to the footsteps and a voice I hear every now and again. He tells me it's his way of letting me know he's around.

Haha, I haven't had that happen to me. I use to be really freaked out by some of the stuff that went on in my house (probably still am but it's been quiet). I can only remembering it happening when I was 15. Then around 18, it just happened less frequent (It's still there though, I just think I haven't been focusing on it much). The footsteps and voice stand out to me for an obvious reason, lol. I remember in high school I'd be sitting in class, and most of it was empty at the time, and heard someone say my name. I looked behind me and no one was there. Then I'd be going out of class and hear my name again and look up and... no one seemed to have called it. The footsteps... I came home and heard them but couldn't detect the source for them at all. It was a rather... interesting time. (and it did freak me out because I just simply didn't understand why the hell I heard the things I did. I still wonder why today.)

That's very interesting, and I don't think it's a coincidence. I think you had him sussed even then ( :

Yeah, I've been thinking about the name for the longest time since I'm pretty sure I was trying to figure out the name of the Presence that popped around (The only conclusion I can reach) and it's... technically the only lead I have at this point. I'd ask but I kind of already did a while ago. And I'm still wondering if it's in my head or not. I doubt and overthink way too much sometimes, lol.

This doesn't surprise me either. There is a connection between the two. Perhaps Apollo heard you and decided Dionysus would be the better man for the job at the time? I remember reading a thread on the old forum about someone having a dream about the two of them doing a healing of sorts. I can't find the thread though.

Perhaps.. or he simply got tired of waiting (assuming he was around for a while) and decided to just pop in, lol. I'm well aware that I'm probably going to see his brothers at some point, if they pop around or not. I tend to hear if you work with one of the three, the other two come around, lol.
I can see how both would have healing aspects though. (If I recall, Apollo is a healer? Dionysus definitely can be one himself.)

Strangely he's been known to be helpful when we're doing it tough. There are a few instances where I've found money in odd places, like $20 in a coat pocket that was 'not' there 5 minutes ago. He admits to doing this when we really  need it, but he says he has to have 'permission' first, from who, I have no idea.

Mm, I have a feeling if I asked more, things would get slightly better. I've been a bit antsy since last year when we received a notice to Vacate. The last time we had a Notice to Vacate was a few days before my birthday and I just bawled (and you can probably guess my actions then. :P). Thankfully my mom got paid the next day, I think, and it was sorted out.

It doesn't help that I worry over stuff though. >_> I can get myself very worried, and keep trying to make myself realize nothing is going to happen in the way I think it is. That's the hard part.

Me too, and he's never angry. The only thing he's ever done is give me a little of the silent treatment lol. Makes me feel like I'm 5 and being given time out to think about what I've done hehe.

Sounds like something he would do. :) I feel rather grateful I came across a god who doesn't get angry.

Isn't it nice to compare notes ( :

It is. <3

Tags: