Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Searching for Spiritual Guidance  (Read 2649 times)

Yoraeryu

• View Profile
Searching for Spiritual Guidance
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:37:51 am »
Hello, please call me Kaz or Yora. I know my username is long.

I'm very new here, and new to any Pagan or spiritual communities outside of Therianthropy. I came to this forum in hopes of getting some help in my spiritual life (or lack thereof).

I was born and raised Catholic, but as I got older and developed my own opinions, I broke away from the church and experimented with Paganism, energy, and anything in the books I could get my paws on. I was fascinated by magick and rituals, but never had anyone to guide me or to even have any interest with me. Over the years, my spirituality began to wane, and eventually I convinced myself that I didn't need anything spiritual in my life, and that I was perfectly fine without it. I felt that I didn't need spirituality as a crutch to lean on.

Well, that doesn't seem to be the case, really. I find myself feeling sort of empty, and vaguely longing for some sense of connection to something spiritual again. Logic doesn't answer prayers for help and guidance.

On that note, I find myself looking for a patron god or patroness goddess, one that can help me cope with life's problems and help guide me through my struggles. Someone I can talk to, someone who will test me, someone to tell me that I have more fight in me than I thought.

In looking for a patron(ess), I figure certain aspects of myself and my life would be relevant in helping figure out to whom I should be sending my prayers. I also realize that a person doesn't really choose their deity, and that the deity chooses them. Still, knowing whom to research and call out to would be nice. I don't really have a preference in culture or pantheon... I always did have a fascination with Egyptian mythology, though.

Let's see... Relevant aspects about myself:
-I am a wolf therian. Any deities related to canines?
-I am female.
-I have several health problems including hypothyroidism, allergies, and restless legs. Is there anyone that is specifically related to health, wellness, or healing?
-I travel often between New York state and Ontario, Canada. My family is in New York and I am going to school in Canada. Being in a different country has made me feel very isolated and alienated (pun intended), despite the love and support from my boyfriend and a few acquaintances from school. Is there a patron deity for travelers?
-I am currently a student working towards a job in the veterinary field. I want to nurture and treat the illnesses of many creatures close to my heart. I find human medicine boring. Is there someone connected to veterinary medicine or to medicine in general?
-Natural sciences (excluding physics) have always interested me.
-My mother is very close to me, and she has many health problems that distress me immensely. She's also a reborn Christian that sometimes indirectly makes me feel ashamed for seeking out other spiritual paths. Not often, though. Is there anyone that is known for protection of family?
-My father is semi-estranged from me. Once I developed an opinion of my own, my father didn't know how to deal with me, and we grew very distant. There are also things that I cannot forgive him for.
-I have three brothers, all elder. My eldest brother has a daughter, my only niece, and I hate him. I do. He is a drunk who doesn't really care about anything but himself. Is there anyone that can help me be rid of my anger and hatred towards him, and help him in turn?
-My closest brother was in jail for a year for four DWIs and just got off parole in June. He's drinking again, but not as heavily and I don't believe he is doing drugs in my mom's house. Is there someone who can help me in keeping him safe?
-I have a boyfriend whom I intend to marry soon, and he is not spiritual in the slightest. He's very accepting of my and my quirks, though, so I'm not worried or ashamed around him in the slightest.
-I recently have found myself in over $13,000 in student loan debt, not including path student loans and credit card debt (which was used for emergencies and still hasn't been paid off). That had nearly crushed me, but I managed to bounce back, some. I'm still very upset that my life's plans (which are not extravagant) have to be pushed back years thanks to this. Is there anyone that specializes in money problems and guidance through hard times?

..I realize I've probably given more information than was necessary, but those are all things in my life that are important to me or cause great concern. If anyone can give me some suggestions on whom to reach out to, I would be very grateful.

I don't really feel like I have a connection with anyone specific, nor has anyone tried to contact me yet that I am aware of. Although, when I was talking to Vel about Anubis, I went to sleep that night thinking that I didn't really share anything with Him. When I woke up yesterday morning, my wrist was incredibly sore. And I just aggravated it terribly by pushing my mother in a wheelchair through a zoo yesterday as well. It's still sore today... Is it a sign? I think I just slept on it wrong, but maybe there's something else to it.

Thank you.

Livia Indica

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Spiritual Guidance
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:49:12 am »
Quote from: Yoraeryu;16597

I'm very new here, and new to any Pagan or spiritual communities outside of Therianthropy. I came to this forum in hopes of getting some help in my spiritual life (or lack thereof).

On that note, I find myself looking for a patron god or patroness goddess, one that can help me cope with life's problems and help guide me through my struggles. Someone I can talk to, someone who will test me, someone to tell me that I have more fight in me than I thought.

In looking for a patron(ess), I figure certain aspects of myself and my life would be relevant in helping figure out to whom I should be sending my prayers. I also realize that a person doesn't really choose their deity, and that the deity chooses them. Still, knowing whom to research and call out to would be nice. I don't really have a preference in culture or pantheon... I always did have a fascination with Egyptian mythology, though.

Looks like you, like many of us, may need more than one deity to help you on your path. I think you would be best benefited by researching deities and seeing if any speak to you.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:32:40 am »
Quote from: Yoraeryu;16597

I was born and raised Catholic, but as I got older and developed my own opinions, I broke away from the church and experimented with Paganism, energy, and anything in the books I could get my paws on. I was fascinated by magick and rituals, but never had anyone to guide me or to even have any interest with me. Over the years, my spirituality began to wane, and eventually I convinced myself that I didn't need anything spiritual in my life, and that I was perfectly fine without it. I felt that I didn't need spirituality as a crutch to lean on.

Well, that doesn't seem to be the case, really. I find myself feeling sort of empty, and vaguely longing for some sense of connection to something spiritual again. Logic doesn't answer prayers for help and guidance.

Let's see... Relevant aspects about myself:
-I am a wolf therian. Any deities related to canines?
-I am female.
-I have several health problems including hypothyroidism, allergies, and restless legs. Is there anyone that is specifically related to health, wellness, or healing?
-I travel often between New York state and Ontario, Canada. My family is in New York and I am going to school in Canada. Being in a different country has made me feel very isolated and alienated (pun intended), despite the love and support from my boyfriend and a few acquaintances from school. Is there a patron deity for travelers?
-I am currently a student working towards a job in the veterinary field. I want to nurture and treat the illnesses of many creatures close to my heart. I find human medicine boring. Is there someone connected to veterinary medicine or to medicine in general?
-Natural sciences (excluding physics) have always interested me.
-My mother is very close to me, and she has many health problems that distress me immensely. She's also a reborn Christian that sometimes indirectly makes me feel ashamed for seeking out other spiritual paths. Not often, though. Is there anyone that is known for protection of family?
-My father is semi-estranged from me. Once I developed an opinion of my own, my father didn't know how to deal with me, and we grew very distant. There are also things that I cannot forgive him for.
-I have three brothers, all elder. My eldest brother has a daughter, my only niece, and I hate him. I do. He is a drunk who doesn't really care about anything but himself. Is there anyone that can help me be rid of my anger and hatred towards him, and help him in turn?
-My closest brother was in jail for a year for four DWIs and just got off parole in June. He's drinking again, but not as heavily and I don't believe he is doing drugs in my mom's house. Is there someone who can help me in keeping him safe?
-I have a boyfriend whom I intend to marry soon, and he is not spiritual in the slightest. He's very accepting of my and my quirks, though, so I'm not worried or ashamed around him in the slightest.
-I recently have found myself in over $13,000 in student loan debt, not including path student loans and credit card debt (which was used for emergencies and still hasn't been paid off). That had nearly crushed me, but I managed to bounce back, some. I'm still very upset that my life's plans (which are not extravagant) have to be pushed back years thanks to this. Is there anyone that specializes in money problems and guidance through hard times?

..I realize I've probably given more information than was necessary, but those are all things in my life that are important to me or cause great concern. If anyone can give me some suggestions on whom to reach out to, I would be very grateful.

I don't really feel like I have a connection with anyone specific, nor has anyone tried to contact me yet that I am aware of. Although, when I was talking to Vel about Anubis, I went to sleep that night thinking that I didn't really share anything with Him. When I woke up yesterday morning, my wrist was incredibly sore. And I just aggravated it terribly by pushing my mother in a wheelchair through a zoo yesterday as well. It's still sore today... Is it a sign? I think I just slept on it wrong, but maybe there's something else to it.

Thank you.

I would try Hermes- he's a patron of travelers, animal husbandry, medicine, communication, finalcial gain and commerce,   and a guide of souls.

Here is a few sources:

http://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Hermes.html
http://www.wildivine.org/hermes.htm

I can't help you with Egyptian mythology but if it happeals the most to you, it can be worth to go deeper into that.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Yoraeryu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 01:02:12 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;16610
I would try Hermes- he's a patron of travelers, animal husbandry, medicine, communication, finalcial gain and commerce,   and a guide of souls.

Here is a few sources:

http://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Hermes.html
http://www.wildivine.org/hermes.htm

I can't help you with Egyptian mythology but if it happeals the most to you, it can be worth to go deeper into that.

I am reading that Hermes is more of a guide to flocks and farm animals more than the typical small animal clinics which I hope to work in. I later read that dogs were included with flocks under his guardianship... Being a canine myself, perhaps he is very fitting.

I was surprised to see that Hermes has a special liking for cinnamon flavored candies as offerings, though... I love cinnamon candies. He is also supposed to like cakes... And I enjoy baking and cooking.

I wonder if candles are an acceptable substitute for incense flavors? I enjoy burning candles. Incense tends to choke up the entire room for me.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 02:12:49 pm »
Quote from: Yoraeryu;16634
I am reading that Hermes is more of a guide to flocks and farm animals more than the typical small animal clinics which I hope to work in. I later read that dogs were included with flocks under his guardianship... Being a canine myself, perhaps he is very fitting.

I was surprised to see that Hermes has a special liking for cinnamon flavored candies as offerings, though... I love cinnamon candies. He is also supposed to like cakes... And I enjoy baking and cooking.

I wonder if candles are an acceptable substitute for incense flavors? I enjoy burning candles. Incense tends to choke up the entire room for me.

I see no arm in exchanging incense for scented candles.

You might even look into Hekate as She is known to be announced by the sound of barking hounds or wild dogs- Her chosen companions. But She is more a guide of journeys within, of 'burning the emotional baggage'.

Few sources:

http://www.neokoroi.org/religion/gods/Hecate
http://www.theoi.com/Khthonios/Hekate.html
http://www.inanna.virtualave.net/hekate.html
http://home.comcast.net/~subrosa_florens/witch/hekate.html

I really have to stop to point everyone Her at everyone only I am exceptionally fond of Her...:ashamed:
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Icon by jewelotus

Yoraeryu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:06:31 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;16652

I actually happened to have a dream last night that involved me being the leader of a werewolf pack. We were staging an attack on a warehouse that had trapped hundreds of dogs, pigs and cattle. Lots of howling was to be had.

Think there's anything to it other than my crazy imagination?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:05:49 am by SunflowerP »

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 02:55:08 pm »
Quote from: Yoraeryu;16843
I actually happened to have a dream last night that involved me being the leader of a werewolf pack. We were staging an attack on a warehouse that had trapped hundreds of dogs, pigs and cattle. Lots of howling was to be had.

Think there's anything to it other than my crazy imagination?

It might be but I suppose only time will tell.;)
Icon by jewelotus

Tags: