"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Do Deities Care About People?  (Read 5006 times)

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Do Deities Care About People?
« on: August 24, 2011, 05:12:49 am »
Hi all,

I find it very interesting that we all have different ideas about Deities here and how they operate. My question is, do you think that they care about people and what we do?

To answer my own question, I think that they do - maybe some deities more than others though. I believe that I was thwapped by Brighid early this year so I figure if She didn't care about people then why would She bother? Of course it could all be my imagination lol.

So, what do you all think? Do deities care?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Do Deities Care About People?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:11:47 am »
Quote from: rocquelaire;15302

Some certainly seem to care about people, although how much they care and how they show it certainly varies a lot. However, at least some deities don't seem to care about people as people aren't their focus -- natural forces, animals, etc. are.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:04:17 am »
Hi all,

I find it very interesting that we all have different ideas about Deities here and how they operate. My question is, do you think that they care about people and what we do?

To answer my own question, I think that they do - maybe some deities more than others though. I believe that I was thwapped by Brighid early this year so I figure if She didn't care about people then why would She bother? Of course it could all be my imagination lol.

I think they care about the *whole* - for some gods, that's all people, for some it's specific people.  For some it might not be people at all.

I guess .. I believe They care, yes, but They are NOT human and don't use our rules for what caring means.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:33:40 am »
Hi all,

The heathen gods care about people but not in the way that we ( I, at least) may have come to expect our deities to care.

They certainly aren't doing all of This for nothing. Frigga doesn't weave the clouds for her own benefit, and Heimdall doesn't sit guard on Bifrost for no reason.

The world came to be, man came to be, and the gods took responsibility for us. They aren't perfect, but they do have a goodness and a sense of right and wrong, and they protect our opportunity to find happiness, to build families, to create meaning to our lives, and retain that meaning after death . They keep the world in order since its here now, we're here now, and its the fair and right thing to do.

That's quite a lot that they do: providing us with the ability to live our own lives and create our own experiences. It isn't a test of faith that only the faithful pass to move on to some otherworldly reward. It isn't a test of character in which the wise transcend and discover a new level of being. There isn't anything they're holding back from us that we need to earn, there isn't anywhere special that they're trying to lead us. This is it: we live here, we die here,  and we're all in it together to make the best of it.

And because it's like that, the gods don't give us lessons. They don't try to put something in your path to test you. Test you for what? They don't find the human soul inferior and in need of growth and learning. They aren't interested in souls or salvation or enlightenment. They've provided the world, its up to you to make it what you want. They wont push or guide you into some spiritual happiness or betterment. Make it on your own if that's what you want in life,  pass it on to your child, create meaning and a memory. They'll kindly keep a tornado from ripping through your house while you're busy with that. ;)

Its through a gifting relationship that the gods 'care' for us. We offer thanks or ask for assistance and they return the favor. Sometimes they may not care for your gifts or believe in your oaths, and they may not reciprocate.  Other times they accept your gifts and provide you protection or victory or abundance in return. Its a give and take.  They don't know what's in your heart or know some deeper, higher You that even you don't . They know you by your actions, by the relationship you build with them. They don't 'spirit guide'  you into a better relationship.

If a god caring about you means that they must have some unwarranted personal interest in you and that you're their pet project spiritually, than the heathen gods can seem a bit uncaring. If a god caring for you means that they keep chaos and disaster from descending on you so that you can live your life and that they'll hear you out when you come calling, then they care a lot.  That type of relationship and dynamic isn't for everyone, though.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 11:09:11 am »

Yes.  No.  Other.

It's a large cosmos.  Most gods are concerned with the big gears in the cosmic clockwork.  And the thing about the big gears in the cosmic clockwork is that they turn, with ponderous inevitability and force.  The sun comes up; the sun goes down.

If by 'care about people' you mean 'fish people out from between the big gears in the cosmos before they get crushed by the inevitability of its workings', the answer is no: it's a rare god that will ever consider bothering with that sort of micromanagement.  The big gears go where they must.

Humanity, as a collective entity, sums up to one of those big gears, though.  Which means that the gods will have some concern about whether that big gear is meshing with the rest of the stuff or out of whack.  And that big gearbox is made up of little gears, each of us individually, which means that some gods may be into adjusting the little gears in order to produce a more functional big Humanity Gearbox, or producing things that will overall make the gear maintenance less irritating.  (Some religious codes can have this function.)

Individual gods may also have individual fondness for individual humans.  This will almost certainly not override the 'you climbed in between the big gears, you idiot?  Sucks to be you' principle except in extreme cases.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 07:52:20 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;15305
Some certainly seem to care about people, although how much they care and how they show it certainly varies a lot. However, at least some deities don't seem to care about people as people aren't their focus -- natural forces, animals, etc. are.

This.

I mostly deal with 2 gods from the Olympian pantheon, and both care about me, but they do show it differently.  Quite differently, in fact!
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 04:31:29 am »

Depends on the deity.

Of the four I've had contact with, I'm certain that two of them (the two I belong to) care about me, one has something to teach me but doesn't care about me, and one has an interest in me that could never be described as 'caring' but is certainly insistent.

But the caring (and love) of deities isn't the same as humans, and in my experience isn't the same as the way many Christians believe Jesus loves and cares for them. Even at its warmest, it's still the caring of something very, very old, and very, very huge. I like the way Darkhawk described it - it's not quite what I believe, but close. Even a deity that cares for you isn't going to disturb the way of things for your sake, that's just not an option.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 03:53:16 am »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);15471
Depends on the deity.

Of the four I've had contact with, I'm certain that two of them (the two I belong to) care about me, one has something to teach me but doesn't care about me, and one has an interest in me that could never be described as 'caring' but is certainly insistent.

But the caring (and love) of deities isn't the same as humans, and in my experience isn't the same as the way many Christians believe Jesus loves and cares for them. Even at its warmest, it's still the caring of something very, very old, and very, very huge. I like the way Darkhawk described it - it's not quite what I believe, but close. Even a deity that cares for you isn't going to disturb the way of things for your sake, that's just not an option.

This.

I think they can care for us in a way that is both more pure and more primal than we can fully wrap our mind around.

They can be loyal, be of guidance and comford and smooth over certain difficulties out of love, but the fact remains that They see life and death and pain from a very different, higher perspective.

Exemple: I trust my Lady protection and care, and I think She will help me out of my troubles... but I don't expect this means that my strenght will never tested or that i shall not change myself or put in any effort in order to get over those issues that are creating my troubles in first place. I believe we go through every incarnation with a precise purpose, and that this is why life looks often hard to us, even when we recognize we are luckier than others. I think no god or goddess, no matter how loving, would take that burden off our shoulders. I think that if a certain anguish or test is supposed to make us stronger or wiser, deities will let you suffer it, even if they can feel compassionate towards you.

I don't necessarily think that deities care about every single human on the planet in the same capacity as they should have their free likes or dislikes as all sentient beings.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 11:20:30 am »
Quote from: Liadine (dragonflyeyes);15471
I like the way Darkhawk described it - it's not quite what I believe, but close. Even a deity that cares for you isn't going to disturb the way of things for your sake, that's just not an option.

It doesn't matter how fond Neb.y Set is of me, we still tied down the patio furniture and the baby slide because there's a hurricane due to come through. ;)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 11:28:27 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;15726
It doesn't matter how fond Neb.y Set is of me, we still tied down the patio furniture and the baby slide because there's a hurricane due to come through. ;)

*nods* We're still going to put the patio furniture in the shed, etc.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 12:04:28 am »
Quote from: Darkhawk;15726

Haha, indeed! :P
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:04:52 am by DashesAgainst »
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 01:55:20 am »

Regarding the Ones I worship: They care about me insofar as They need me to do Their work. If I'm not functioning, I'm not useful to Them. Following that, They take care of me. If I continually refuse to be what They want me to be, They leave. And I smarten up, because the absence of Them is a fate worse than death.

Other than that personal insight, I'm in agreement with Darkhawk.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

addy

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 02:25:08 pm »
Hi all,

Personally yes I think deities care about people. Even people who do not believe. Deities I think try to show us things everyday but we need to be more aware and open to there ideas. Some people may say "well then why do they cause natural disasters" who says they ever did. If they care for us they wouldnt. But then again if they care for our planet and want to tell us to shapen up, then maybe they do. Who knows. But yes I do think deities care about us and our actions :)

Tags: